Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chinese Dialect That I Speak (Taishanese)

Many people were asked about what kind of Chinese Dialect do I speak with my family, my answer is : "Taishan Hua or Xinning Wa (in Hokkien)". Recently, I just found it in Wikipedia and I realized that in English we call it as Taishanese. It is a bit sounds like Cantonese but it still many differents between them.

Taishan is the origin of Taishanese, it is located in Guangdong Provice of China and situated at southwest of Guangzhou. Taishanese also known as Xinning but seems that not many people speak it in Malaysia. By the way, about 70% of Chinese Americans are made up from Taishanese. That's why sometimes we heard that Chinese that migrated to America known as 'Kam San Ah Pak' (in Cantonese). Because many Taishanese were migrated to California esspecially San Francisco during the earlier stage of 20th-century. Nowadays, Taishanese is widely speak by Chinese Americans that stay in chinatowns.

Actually last time Taishanese was widely spoken in Penang too but seems when it was replaced by Hokkien. My grandpa also told me that many Chinese immigrants were Taishanese. When I viewing my Graduation Magazine, I also found that many students written there their China Province origin were Taishan. It can be conclude that there are many Taishanese in Malaysia.

Appreciate your dialect, speak it always whenever you can...Haha

3 comments:

  1. last time i heard this language before... in order not to let this language become "instinct" you have to teach your children and you childrens' chiidren about this language

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya loh...haha...
    but nowadays people seldom teach their children to speak mother tounge..

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are taishanese all over US and canada too. Taishanese in malaya that is zheng!

    ReplyDelete